Mike Sonko, whose full name is Mbuvi Gideon Kioko, is a Kenyan politician and businessman who served as the second Governor of Nairobi from 2017 to 2020. During his time in office, he made several investments in different sectors.
It’s difficult to estimate the exact net worth of Mike Sonko as there is no official figure available. However, he is widely considered to be one of the wealthiest politicians in Kenya, having made significant investments in various sectors over the years.
In 2017, during his campaign for Nairobi Governor, Sonko declared his wealth to be around 1.7 billion Kenyan shillings (approximately USD 17 million at the time). However, this figure has not been independently verified.
It’s worth noting that Sonko has also faced corruption allegations and legal issues during his time in office, and some of his investments have been subject to controversy and scrutiny.
Some of the known investments made by Mike Sonko include:
- Real Estate: Sonko has invested in real estate and owns several properties in Nairobi and Mombasa, including rental apartments and commercial buildings.
- Transport: He has invested in the transport sector and owns a fleet of matatus (minibuses) that operate in Nairobi.
- Hospitality: Sonko has also invested in the hospitality industry and owns several hotels and resorts in Mombasa and Nairobi.
- Agriculture: He has invested in the agriculture sector and owns a large farm in Mua Hills, Machakos County, where he practices commercial farming.
- Entertainment: Sonko has also invested in the entertainment industry and owns a nightclub in Nairobi.
It’s worth noting that some of these investments have been subject to controversy and scrutiny, particularly during his time as Nairobi Governor.